Sunday, July 15, 2012

a first time for those words

I sat in a chair overlooking the tops of trees some eleven floors up. The physical part of the exam was over. Isn't that what most women dread? The poking and proding of your lady parts? It's not that I enjoy that part of the exam by any means, but it's definitely not the worst to me.

The worst comes when I have to go into his personal office at the end of the hallway to talk about it. Sometimes the tears hit me before I even make it to his mahogany clad den, while I'm riping off that paper gown, lubricant still wet between my legs.

We've talked about my family history for two consecutive visits now. His department has been moving from paper files to computer and thus, we talk history again. I don't necessarily mind that part, even if it is redundant. I feel a pang of pride and thankfulness wash over me when I talk about my Nana being a breast cancer survivor, my Dad a skin cancer survivor.

But the fear and dread are there, completely present, dancing under the surface of my skin with a heat that feels like it's burning me alive.

Are you on any form of birth control? he asks.

Buck up, hold back the tears, just answer the question.

I'm not, I respond.

How long has it been anyway? I usually get the amount of time mixed up, my heart begging my brain not to remember out of a staunch defense over my emotions.

We haven't used any protection in two years, voice miraculously controlled, knowing it's been more like three.

Then I launch directly into the monologue I could quote in my sleep I've said it so many times.

I believe there's a difference in trying to conceive and just not preventing.
We aren't trying, really. I've never taken my temperature. I don't even know my ovulation cycle.
So we can't say we are trying. We just aren't preventing pregnancy.
I believe there's a difference.

Yes, he concludes. I agree. I do not recommend couples seek fertility treatment until a calendar year of actually trying to conceive.

Do you believe there is anything that would cause me to not be able to get pregnant?

Nothing obvious. Your exam is normal. You have a regular cycle. The next step we'd take would be testing your husband. It's easier to rule out the male before beginning the tests on the female. Once he's ruled out, we'd run a panel of your blood and then conduct a dye test to make sure your insides are working correctly.

Okay, I reply. I'm not exactly worried, I just really want to have children one day.

Well, your clock is ticking. PAUSE. He must have seen the look on my face because he added, I mean, it's not ticking fast, but it is beginning to tick.

I am only 29 years old!!! I heard myself scream within my head. I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. And the heart, too.

He gave me a pep talk that went something like, You should try not to be anxious. Most couples who struggle to get pregnant have no problem conceiving once they let go of their worry. This couple and that couple adopted a baby and then got pregnant themselves mere months later.

He begins shifting my file of papers in order and starts to stand up.

Doctor, just one last thing...

It came out before I could stop it. I was about to get away without The Worst of the worst conversations taking place and here I was inviting it. Slap myself.

I know that I am not at my healthiest weight. I think that's the main thing holding me back from really wanting to be pregnant right now. I'd really like to be at a healthier place physically before I conceive.

For some reason, making this admission felt like I was saying, Once I get my svelte figure back, the lack of which drives my security into the ground, I am confident I will be able to get pregnant, aren't you?

I hate to admit it, but I think I was expecting him to smile his grandfatherly smile, hug my shoulders and say something like, You are right. Once you get to your goal weight, I can assure you a baby will practically leap into your body.

Instead, he tilted his head, almost shrugged and said, You've been saying you want to get healthy for the past three years. There's a time to be optimistic and a time to be realistic.

And with that, the hot tears I'd been holding in for the better portion of an hour began to flow.

5 comments:

  1. oh molly. i just want to give you a hug right now. this is brave and vulnerable of you to put out there and let us take a glimpse into your hurt. and what a real hurt it is. i don't even have the words to say to make you feel better (there aren't any) but i echo elizabeth when i say that it will be sweeter when you're on the other side of all of this.

    thinking of you. thanks for sharing this, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly. I let out a big sigh after reading this post. My heart hurts for you.

    I hesitate to say "I've been there" because it's kind of annoying when someone says that after you bear your heart (this is about you!) but if you ever want to talk--I've gone through all those tests -- the one where they use dye, the one where they clear our your tubes, a lot of poking and prodding and passing out and crying. Austin also had that sperm test and the thing about the weight? I was about 40 lbs heavier than my target weight when I got pregnant so I had those conversations with the doctor, too. The whole thing is a pile of suck.

    Let's talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read these words, I am honored that you have invited us to read your journey, to share your journey. That you trust us enough to be vulnerable, to know that we will love you, pray with you, hold your hand, join you over the best damn cup of coffee if only because it is strong enough to be stiff.

    But mostly, I am reminded of the Gentry Family Mantra you shared. I hope everyone that ever lays eyes on your words here will take it to heart, to follow these rules:

    Love one another (love Molly)
    Obey the 1st time (well...this one doesn't fully apply...)
    Trust│don't complain or argue (because she is trusting you)
    Speak with kind voices (kind, compassionate, warm voices)
    Have a thankful heart (because Molly's heart loves you more than you can imagine, so your heart better be thankful back!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that you had to endure this. That you are enduring this.

    There have been days I haven't spoken to God over my anger and frustration for you and other and friends and family dealing with this crap.

    I hope that somehow sharing it and getting it out of your head and heart and in black and white was a sort of relief. Thank you for trusting us with these words Molly. I hope you feel safe and loved because you are.

    I should have placed my hands on you when I got the chance and prayed. But I'll pray now and imagine my hands on your baby's house.

    Fertility and health over you in Jesus' name. I believe that you have the power to take care of this God. Make her fluid fertile, make the conditions just right - take care of this. Peace over your mind. Peace over your body. Peace over your spirit. I pray for you a pregnancy. A healthy 9 months of growing your baby and a beautiful labor and delivery. In Jesus' powerful name.

    ReplyDelete